Assessor's Office,  MS-22
614 Division St, Port Orchard, WA 98366
Phone:(360)337-7160  Fax:(360)337-4874

Business Personal Property
File On-Line
now closed
Parcel Search
Plat Index
Recorded Documents Search

Historical Documents

Address Changes
Commercial Property
Data Download
Exemptions & Tax Relief

Forms & Publications
Personal Property
Assessor's Home Page


Personal Property

Personal property's primary characteristic is its mobility. It includes machinery, equipment, furniture and fixtures associated with commercial, industrial, or agricultural enterprises. Business inventories are exempt from property tax (unless available for rent), but supplies consumed in the operation of a business are taxable. Your family automobile, household goods, and personal effects are not subject to personal property tax unless they are used in a business.  

Everyone who owns personal property used in a business must complete a personal property listing by April 30 each year. The listing must include a description of the property, its cost, and the acquisition date. The Assessor uses the listing to value property for taxes payable the following year. Personal property tax rates are the same as for real property. 

Frequently Asked Questions

How can I reach you?

Telephone:  360-337-7160
Mailing address: Kitsap County Assessor’s Office, 614 Division Street MS-22, Port Orchard, WA 98366, Attn: Personal Property

Can I send my listing by Email in an Excel file?

Yes, you may file your annual personal property listing in an Excel file by email.

The Excel file must include a complete list of ALL assets the business has.  The Excel file will need to include a brief description of the assets, the original cost (less sales tax) and the year acquired.  Please include the business name, account number and contact information in the Excel file or in the email.  For additional questions you may send an email or call our office at (360) 337-7160.

Can I file on-line? 

Yes, you can access your account here.  Your paper listing shows your log-in name and password.

What if I close my business?

Report the details (including the disposition of property) to our office via e-mail or on the listing.  If the equipment is in your possession, continue to file the listing - due every April 30th, as usual.

Please don’t confuse relocating, selling, walking away from, or reorganizing the business, with closing it. You still need to report the equipment.

If you don’t have the equipment, we need to know what you did with it. Specifically:  the date that the business closed and the location of the equipment.  If sold: sale date, sale price, new owner's name, new owner's address. 

The Assessor's estimate is way too high - what can I do?

Send us the following document(s), within the appeal deadline, and we will review the assessment:

  • Depreciation Schedule

  • Equipment Register

  • IRS Schedule C

  • Balance Sheet

  • General Ledger

  • Schedule of leased Equipment

How can I get a listing?

You can print a blank affidavit from here, or request one via e-mail.

Can I give you an address or name change over the phone?

No, changes can only be made by written notification.  E-mail us with the changes or annotate them on the listing.

When does a listing need to be returned?

We will accept them at any time, but a listing must be postmarked by April 30th to avoid a late filing penalty.

When can I appeal my assessment?

You have 60 days from the date on the notice of value.

Who do I talk to about an appeal?

The first step should be to contact our office, if you are not satisfied with the results that you receive then you can appeal the decision to the Board of Equalization.  If you disagree with our calculation on reported assets, call or e-mail us.

What equipment do I declare?

Any equipment used in the operation of a business.

I have a home business and I use equipment for business and personal use; is it still considered business equipment?

Yes, it should be reported regardless of the percentage of use.

Are there any exemptions?

There is $15,000 "Head of Household" exemption from the reported assessed value for sole proprietors only.  You must claim this on your listing every year.  We will review your eligibility and apply the exemption as applicable.  If eligible, the exemption will reduce your assessed value for taxes due the following year.

Are extensions available for late filing a listing?


Are there penalties for filing a listing after the due date?

We add 5% per month (or fraction of a month) to your tax bill, not to exceed 25% of the total tax.

Can these penalties be waived?

If there are extenuating circumstances, notify us of the details.

What are considered supplies?

Supplies are items used or consumed in the operation of the business.

How are supplies calculated?

Take the total amount purchased by the business annually and divide by 12.  Enter that amount in block 3 of the listing.

When are my personal property taxes due?

The first half is due by April 30th and the second half by October 31st.  Personal and real property taxes are due at the same time.

How much are my personal property taxes?

Same as real property, approximately 1% of the assessed value per year.

How much are my personal property delinquent taxes?

Contact the Kitsap County Treasurer by telephone at (360) 337-7135 or e-mail.

  Last Updated: 
  January 23, 2017
Listing for new accounts
Listing for existing accounts
Send your listing by Email in an Excel file
Value Guidelines for 2016
Value Guidelines for 2017tiny new
Asset Categories
Request for Review
DOR's Personal Property Tax Brochure
DOR's Personal Property Video
Boathouse Appraisal
Report the Sale of a Boathouse
Boathouse Change of Address
Excel Viewer