Community Development, MS-36  
614 Division St, Port Orchard, WA 98366
Phone:(360) 337-5777 * Fax:(360) 337-4925
Hours 8AM - 4PM (M-TH), 9AM - 1PM (F)
DCD Home

Planning & Environmental Programs
Development Eng
Fire Marshal
Land Use
GIS (Maps & Data)
Contact Us
Inspections Home
CK Comm Council
Hearing Examiner
Planning Commission
Kingston CAC
Suquamish CAC
Manchester CAC

Finding Home - Addressing in Kitsap County
Kitsap 1
Kitsap 24/7
Facebook for Kitsap County
Community Development > Fire Marshal >

Fire Code Information


Fire Code - General Information


Automatic Fire Suppression Systems


Fire Exits - Code Information


Building Permits - Fences, fireplaces, decks


Fire Extinguishers - General Information


The fire districts have adopted the 1997 Edition of the Uniform Fire Code. This code prescribes regulations for the identification and correction of fire hazards including the maintenance of exit doors, fires walls, fire protection equipment, flammable liquids and hazardous materials.


Information on the fire code can be obtained from the Fire Marshal's Office during normal business hours at (360) 337-4699. If you wish to report a fire hazard, you can call (360) 337-4699 Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., or after business hours, leave a message on the answering machine, or if immediate attention is needed, call 911.



A permit and plan review is required by Kitsap County Fire Marshal's Office for the installation of required fire extinguishing systems. You are required to submit three sets of plans to the Fire Prevention Bureau at 614 Division Street, Port Orchard. A permit is filed at the time of submittal. The plans are reviewed by technical service personnel. You will be notified by phone if there are problems with the system or if the plans have passed review. The plans can then be picked up at 614 Division Street, Port Orchard. A fee is charged based on the estimated cost of the job. Upon completion of the job, a final inspection is required by the fire prevention bureau.



Fire exits are designed to provide continuous and unobstructed means of exiting out of a building. An exiting system in any building may include intervening aisles, doors, doorways, gates, corridors, exterior exit balconies, ramps, stairways, smoke proof enclosures, horizontal exits, exit passageways, exit courts and yards. Required exit doors must not be locked when a building is occupied.


All exiting requirements are described in the Uniform Building Code and in the Uniform Fire Code. If you should have any questions about your exiting system, you may contact Building Inspection during regular business hours, or Fire Prevention at (360) 337-4699. Thank you for calling.



A building permit is required for the construction of fireplaces, fences over 6 feet in height, decks over 30 inches in height, and additions.

bullet A pre-fabricated fireplace must be installed in accordance with the manufacturers specifications, and it must be approved by a nationally recognized testing agency.
bullet A masonry fireplace must be constructed in accordance with the manufacturers specifications, and it must be approved by a nationally recognized testing agency.
bullet A masonry fireplace must be constructed in accordance with the Building Code and construction handout provided by the Building Department.
bullet When obtaining a permit for a fence, the property owner must verify the cost of construction, type of material, and location of subject fence. The department will also request land use information such as easements and setbacks for placement of fences.
bullet For other types of residential construction, such as decks and additions, two complete sets of plans must be forwarded to the residential plans reviewer of the building department to identify such items as typical wall sections, foundation plan, and floor elevations.
bullet Other questions involving this type of construction may be answered by calling the Department of Community Development at (360) 337-7181.


bullet Portable fire extinguishers apply an "agent" that will cool burning fuel, restrict or remove oxygen, or interfere with the chemical reaction so the fire cannot continue to burn. Every home should have at least one fire extinguisher. Consider where you need fire extinguishers. Identify hazardous areas where fires are likely to start and which type of fire would likely occur in each area. Extinguishers should be kept in a handy location, but remove from the anticipated fire area. Everyone in the family should know where they are and how they will use them.
bullet For Class A fires in ordinance combustibles, such a wood, paper, cloth, upholstery, plastics, or similar materials, use a water or dry chemical extinguisher. For Class B fires fueled by flammable liquids or gases, kitchen greases, paint, oil, kerosene, or similar materials, use a dry chemical carbon dioxide or halon extinguisher. Never use water. For Class C fires involving live electrical equipment or wires, use a dry chemical, carbon dioxide or halon extinguisher. If possible, cut off the power first, before the fire becomes a Class A or B. Never use water.
bullet An ABC fire extinguisher will extinguish all three classes of fire and is the best type to have in your home. Check your fire extinguisher for detailed instructions on how to operate your particular type.
Last Updated:  September 23, 2014
Admin Decisions
Annual Report
Apply for a Permit
Blue Address Sign
County Code
Comprehensive Plan Update
Customer Survey
DCD at a Glance
Director's Interpretations


Finding Home

Inspection Schedule
Residential Process Improvement
Parcel Search
Payment Methods
Permit Center
Permit Statistics
Public Notices
Related Links

Go to Adobe web site to download free Acrobat Reader
Many files on this site are in PDF format and require Adobe Acrobat Reader for viewing.