Community Development, MS-36  
614 Division St, Port Orchard, WA 98366
Phone:(360) 337-5777 * Fax:(360) 337-4925
Hours 8AM - 4PM (M-TH), 9AM - 1PM (F)

DCD Home

Planning & Environmental Programs
Development Eng
Fire Marshal
Land Use
GIS (Maps & Data)
Contact Us
Inspections Home
CK Comm Council
Hearing Examiner
Planning Commission
Kingston CAC
Suquamish CAC
Manchester CAC

Finding Home - Addressing in Kitsap County
Kitsap 1
Kitsap 24/7
Facebook for Kitsap County

Select a Project Type

interior Residential Building
Includes some of the following:
New Home
Deck (Apply Online)
Adult Family Homes
Emergency Repair Work (Apply Online)

Commercial Building
Includes some of the following:
New Construction
Signs (Apply Online)
Tenant Improvement
Cell Tower
Temporary Business
Commercial Retaining Wall

Land Development
Includes some of the following:
Critical Areas
Site Development Activity Permit (SDAP)
Land Subdivision
Conditional Use
Home Business

Fire Fire
Includes some of the following:
Operating a place of assembly
Carnivals and fairs
Cutting and welding
Pyrotechnics and fireworks
Fire sprinkler systems
Fire alarm systems
Flammable and combustible liquid systems including tanks

Appeals Appeals
Building and Fire Code Appeals
Appeal of a Department Decision
SEPA Appeal

Kitsap County enforces national and international codes adopted by the State of Washington and Kitsap County. Codes are available online:
Building and construction projects of any size may require that you obtain one or more permits before you can begin the work.

A list of many of the types of permits and the associated fees can be found in DCD Permit Fee Schedule.  See Funding & Permitting Fees Brochure # 9

Most often a site plan and Kitsap Public Health District approval will be required prior to submittal of permit application. Land Use approval, Engineering approval, or Environmental approval may also be required. 

To view a complete alphabetical list of all permit applications, brochures, checklists and other documents please see the Permitting Library
A permit may not be required for:
For the safety of you, your family and your property, prior to any digging call the Underground Utilities Locate service at 811. Location and marking of underground utilities is a free service for residential customers.
  • Fences under seven feet tall
  • Painting a house or trim
  • Installing or replacing gutters.
  • A residential storage shed under 200 square feet or
    a commercial storage shed under 120 square feet  
  • Digging a new garden or planting trees or bushes.
    • Note: Be sure to check for any underground wires and cables, such as phone or electrical lines or TV cables
  • Installing a concrete patio
  • Painting, wallpapering, or paneling walls
  • Installing or replacing woodwork or molding (around doors, windows, ceilings, floors)
  • Replacing window coverings such as drapes, shutters, or blinds
  • Tearing up or installing flooring such as carpeting, wood, or vinyl
  • Installing battery-operated smoke alarms or carbon monoxide detectors.
    • Note:  Hard wired smoke detectors DO require an electrical permit from L&I
For more details see Do I Need a Building Permit Brochure # 40

Last Updated:  September 08, 2017
Admin Decisions
Annual Report
Apply for a Permit
Blue Address Sign
County Code
Comprehensive Plan Update
Customer Survey
DCD at a Glance
Director's Interpretations


Finding Home

Inspection Schedule
Residential Process Improvement
Parcel Search
Payment Methods
Permit Center
Permit Statistics
Public Notices
Related Links

Go to Adobe web site to download free Acrobat Reader
Many files on this site are in PDF format and require Adobe Acrobat Reader for viewing.