|| November 7, 2008
|| Vicki Bushnell,
Education and Communications Coordinator
|| KItsap One, 360-337-5777
County Commissioners Honor Students for America
Recycles Day Posters
(Port Orchard, WA) – At their regular televised meeting on November 10, the Kitsap County Board of Commissioners will honor local students who won the annual America Recycles Day poster contest.
November 15 is the 11th annual America Recycle's Day celebration which focuses public attention on the social, economic, and environmental benefits of recycling. The theme is, “It All Comes Back To You”, to emphasize that to close the recycling loop you must buy products made from the items you've recycled.
This year, a winning poster will appear each month in the newspaper as a result of a public-private partnership with the Kitsap Sun.
In addition, the entries will be on the Kitsap Sun’s online poster gallery
and posted in the windows of the Max Hale building in
downtown Bremerton through a partnership with the Kitsap Arts Board.
“Since starting the single stream or “All in One” curbside program one year ago, curbside
tonnage has increased
33%. They are averaging 885 tons per month just in the unincorporated
County,” said Vicki Bushnell, Education and Communications Coordinator for the Solid Waste Division. “This demonstrates our commitment to recycling here in Kitsap County,” she said, adding, “These 12 young recyclers and the other students who entered the contest have clearly shown that this commitment has taken root and will continue with the next generation.”
This year’s winners are:
- Olivia Erickson, King's West Academy, Grade 3
- Lindsay Hood, King's West Academy, Grade 6
- Aidan Hurley, View Ridge Elementary School, Grade 2
- Lina Fowler, View Ridge Elementary School, Grade 3
- Sabrina Williams, Clear Creek Elementary School, Grade 6
- Riley Surma-Abrams, Sylvan Way Christian School, Grade 4
- Ann Cabacungan, Hidden Creek Elementary School, Grade K
- Cassie Wilcher, Poulsbo Elementary School, Grade 5
- Megan Anderson-Fagan, Sylvan Way Christian School, Grade 4
- Fletcher Morrow, Sylvan Way Christian School, Grade 5
- Grace Mei-Xing Smith, King's West Academy, Grade 4
- Deon Dibley, Silverdale Elementary School, Grade 5
Recycling Coalition-America Recycles Day Information
Washington State Recycling
– ### –