Images of Kitsap County
Public Communications (MS-11)
614 Division Street, Port Orchard, WA
Phone: 360.337.4598
Date: April 21, 2009
Contact: Rick Gilbert, Moderate Risk Waste Program Manager
Phone: Kitsap One 360-337-5777
No: 09-24

Options for Disposal of Unused Medications

(Port Orchard, WA) Ė Unused and outdated medications left in the home may pose serious human health risks, from accidental poisonings of children to abuse of narcotics and other potentially dangerous substances. When disposed of improperly, medications also pose environmental risks. 

One of the biggest environmental concerns is the presence of medications in local septic systems, wastewater treatment facilities, and watersheds. Wastewater facilities cannot sufficiently treat medications, so they eventually pass through to the Puget Sound. Certain medications can damage the operation of individual septic systems. 

So, what should you do with old medications? 

NEVER flush any unused or outdated medications down the drain or down the toilet. This only adds to the volume of medications being discharged to local watersheds.

Find a clinic or pharmacy that will take back your medications. In Kitsap County, Group Health offers a pilot take back program for many of these items. You donít have to be a Group Health member to use it. Here are the locations of the participating pharmacies in Kitsap County, as of 4/22/09:

Port Orchard
1400 Pottery Ave.
Port Orchard WA 98366

19379 7th Ave NE
Poulsbo WA 98370

10452 Silverdale Way NW
Silverdale WA 98383

For more information on hours of operation and specifics on what is accepted and what is not, visit their site at
This program is for residents only.

Pharmacy take back programs are a safe and secure method of managing unused or outdated medicines. Until these options are more widespread, residents can carefully treat pharmaceuticals for management as garbage, follow these instructions:

1. Modify the medication to discourage consumption. Add something unappealing, such as kitty litter, sawdust, or grease.

2. Seal and conceal. Place modified medication in a sealable bag, and then place in a non-transparent container to ensure that the contents cannot be seen.

3. Discard. Discard the container into the garbage away from children or pets. Do not place in the recycle cart.



To contact the Public Information Officer, 
call Doug Bear at 360-337-4598 or email:

Last Updated:  May 27, 2014