Images of Kitsap County
Public Communications (MS-11)
614 Division Street, Port Orchard, WA
Phone: 360.337.4598
 
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
 
Date: April 11, 2014
Contact: David Lynam, Fire Marshal
  360.337.5777 or dlynam@co.kitsap.wa.us
No: 2014-036

Fatal fire cause determined

(Port Orchard, WA)  The Kitsap County Fire Marshal has determined that the fire that occurred last night at 1442 NE Odin St in Poulsbo, claiming the life of 90 year old Harold Champeness was caused when Mr. Champness ignited his clothing while operating the kitchen stove. Damage was limited to the immediate area of the kitchen with an estimated loss to property and contents of $10,000. According to the fire marshal the home had no fire sprinkler system and the fire alarms installed in the home operated as they should have.

Kitsap County Fire Marshal David Lynam states that “It’s sad to lose one of the treasures of our community this way. The smoke alarms operated as they should have but had there been sprinklers installed in the home this may have been a different story last night.” The fire marshal also reminds us that cooking is a major cause of fires and burn injuries in the home particularly for our elderly population and urges anyone to contact their local fire district or fire department for additional information on how to prevent cooking related fires in the home.

– # # # –

 


Kitsap 1
(360) 337-5777

kitsap1@co.kitsap.wa.us

Last Updated:  May 27, 2014