Starting a Business in Kitsap County

What You Will Need

Before starting your business, here is what you need to obtain:

-Certificate of Occupancy from Kitsap County

-Business License from Washington State

Applying for a Certificate of Occupancy

Prior to applying, it is useful to know your: address & suite number, floor plan, whether your business is using septic or sewer, and the name of the last tenant in the space (if needed, contact your property manager).

There are multiple permit options based on the specifics of your business, use our permit Selector Tool to identify the correct permit type for your business. 

State Business License

For guidance on obtaining a state business license, please visit

Home Businesses

If you are starting a new business in your home, you will need to apply for a Home Business Permit. Our Land Use Planner is available in-person Monday-Friday from 9:00am-12:00pm to assist you with your home business plans or contact DCD at 360-337-5777 or

Risk Check - Inspection Program for Commercial Businesses

Risk Check is Kitsap County's Commercial Occupancy Fire & Life Safety Inspection Program. This program replaces the annual inspections that were previously conducted by the local Fire Departments and uses a risk assessment to prioritize the frequency of inspections based on the known risk of each business. Businesses with a higher fire and life safety risk are scheduled to be inspected more frequently, example: a hospital would be inspected more often than a office building. For more information about this program, or to work with Risk Check staff on scheduling your inspection, visit the Risk Check Page. 

Contact Us!

619 Division St. Port Orchard, WA 98366

(360) 337-5777 

Planners & Review Staff Available:

Monday - Friday  9:00 am - 12:00 pm

Permit Technicians & General Lobby Hours:

Monday - Thursday 8:00 am - 4:00 pm   

Friday 9:00 am - 1:00 pm

Need help with your project or want to schedule a meeting?

Ready to apply for your permit? Start here!

Not sure what permit you need? Explore project & permit types.