​Applying for a Marriage License

The Auditor's Office is temporarily closed to the public, except by appointment. If you believe you must come into the office, please fill out the Online Request for In-Person Services.

Application: No appointment is necessary. The fee to apply is $72. Couples may apply for a marriage license online, in-person, or by mail. Both parties must sign the application before a deputy auditor (or a notary public if the application is by mail). A marriage license will be given to the parties upon receipt of the completed marriage application and fee. All applications must be made at least three days prior to the marriage. A marriage license is valid 60 days if the marriage is performed in the State of Washington.

Performing the Ceremony: State law dictates who can perform a marriage ceremony. Typically it is an active or retired judge, or ordained minister. There is a complete list of who may solemnize from the Revised Code of Washington 26.04.050. Ministers from any state may perform marriage ceremonies, but the ceremony must be performed in the State of Washington. Neither of the applicants may perform the ceremony. To have a Kitsap County Judge perform the ceremony, contact the Kitsap County District Court at (360) 337-7033 for more information.

Witnesses: Witnesses are not necessary to apply for a license, but state law requires that at least two witnesses be present at the ceremony.

Divorces and Domestic Partnerships: No blood tests, witnesses, birth certificates or divorce decrees are required to apply for a marriage license in Kitsap County. If either party was previously married, or has a registered domestic partner, he/she needs to meet the requirements of the state in which he/she was divorced or registered. Divorces obtained in Kitsap County must be finalized and filed with the Clerk’s office before application for marriage can be made.

Marriage License Forms

Marriages are Public Record

All marriage records are a matter of public record. The one exception is for those enrolled in Washington State's Address Confidentiality program. Once a license is recorded, it cannot be "unrecorded." If you need copies of your marriage license, visit us in person or mail your copy request form to the Kitsap County Auditor's Office.